Marine Mechanical Designer
BMT is seeking experienced Marine Mechanical or Piping Designers to support our naval architect and marine engineering team
BMT is a full-service technical and management consultancy. Clients include the federal government, domestic and international marine, environmental and safety companies. Our technical and managerial competencies include: Ship Design and Engineering Services; Reliability Centered Maintenance, Systems Safety and Logistics Support; Environmental and Energy Policy Formulation and Support, Human Factors Engineering and Applied Environmental Services. Our professional staff provides high caliber designs and engineering solutions, comprehensive test and evaluation analysis and management support services exceeding customer expectations.
BMT is an international design, science, engineering, risk and program management consultancy, serving clients principally in the defense and security, energy and environment, critical infrastructure and commercial shipping sectors. For further information on BMT please visit www.dandp.com.
BMT is seeking experienced junior and mid-level Marine Mechanical or Piping Designers to support our naval architect and marine engineering team. Designer tasking will range from the development of mechanical system drawings from conceptual ship drawings to developing detail and production design drawings and updating as built drawings. ShipConstructor work will involve modeling piping and HVAC systems in a 3D environment based on schematic drawings and then creating spool assembly drawings and bills of material. Designers are expected to prepare production-ready drawings and to perform quality assurance reviews.
Work Locations: Alexandria, VA and Tacoma, WA
Qualified candidates must be US citizen with the ability to obtain DOD security clearance. Company will not sponsor a work visa for this position.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience
- High School Diploma and minimum 3 years’ experience. Associates Degree or Technical School Diploma preferred
- Minimum 4 years’ experience creating / modifying marine mechanical detail and production design ship drawings using 2D AutoCAD and ShipConstructor including logical views that are clear and understandable, joint detail symbols, proper labeling and dimensioning, and other details.
- Ability to “design for production” resulting in piping arrangement and detail drawings that can be economically produced using normal, current shipbuilding practices.
- Familiarity with all types of marine piping system materials and fabrication/ joint methods
- Minimum 3 years’ experience reviewing and applying established specifications and basic engineering and design principles to verify accuracy and completeness of finished drawings with attention to detail and quality
- Experience preparing drawings using ANSI standards and normal ship design and shipbuilding practices. Knowledge of commercial, USN, and USCG drawing standards and templates
- Experience preparing mechanical systems drawings such as system diagrams and schematics.
- Shipyard experience preferred
- Experience working in the USCG/DoD marine market is a plus.
- Ability to learn new 2D and 3D CAD skills and design standards and apply them directly to current projects
- Ability to create marine system and outfitting drawings based on experience with limited guidance from a design manager
- Familiar with Microsoft Outlook, MS Word and MS Excel
- Demonstrated ability to proactively investigate and resolve technical design problems
- Strong listening, verbal and written communication skills that facilitate ability to reach out, ask questions, and complete tasks
- Demonstrated proficiency in completing detail-oriented tasks on time working independently and with multidisciplinary team meeting delivery deadlines, occasionally in stressful situations
- Proven ability and commitment to provide high caliber customer support to include anticipating and understanding needs, managing expectations, and communicating results and/or challenges
- Confident action oriented, self-starter with a sense of integrity and desire to actively contribute to building and expanding consultancy services
- Physically able to conduct ship checks including being in confined spaces, climbing ladders, and lifting up to 20 pounds, in both cold and hot environments
BMT enjoys a diverse professional staff and offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package. Interested candidates should email resume, BMT Employment Application and Applicant Surveys with subject line "ENG 94" to HR@dandp.com or fax to 703-920-7177. Find application and surveys below. This business uses E-Verify in its hiring practices to achieve a lawful workforce. BMT is an Equal Opportunity Employer & Affirmative Action Employer of M/F/Veterans/Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities
For further information on BMT Designers & Planners, please visit their website: www.dandp.com
Who to contact / How to apply:
To apply please send a copy of your CV to HR@dandp.com
If you would like to have an informal discussion about this role prior to applying please contact:
Patricia Ghannam on +1 703 920 7070